Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Social Media Platforms & How to Remain Productive

So if you're anything like me when I first started getting involved with social media (several years ago at this point) I signed up for a personal Facebook profile & LinkedIn profile to get my feet wet in the social media arena.  I wasn't too keen on Twitter at the time, I honestly thought it was a waste of time.  I also have several blogs I post to on occassion - Wordpress, Blogspot, and on my website.  Having that amount of blogs I want to post on several times a week if not daily and posting status updates on my Facebook profile, got to be very time consuming. 

Now several years later after being in the social media marketing arena and being the founder of Extreme PR, I have discovered that in order to market your business in today's "Socialnomic" times, businesses have to have a Facebook fan page, a Twitter account, a LinkedIn professional page, a YouTube channel and a blog.  I know it sounds like a lot to manage but in these simple steps you will find it's easier than you think it is. 

Step 1. On a piece of paper number starting from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 .  For #5, list the site you use the most on a daily basis.  For #4, write the 2nd most used site on daily basis, etc.  (For example: for me I would list as follows:
5. Facebook
4. Twitter
3. LinkedIn
2. Blogspot
1. Wordpress)

Step 2. Next to #5 write down "five one minute activities"
                         #4 write down "four one minute activities"
                        #3 write down three one minute activities
                        #2 write down two one minute activities
                        #1 write down one one minute activity"
What exactly does this mean?  For Facebook I will view my newsfeeds and "like" a post or comment on someone's post, check my in-box and reply to messages.  So I am only spending 5 minutes each day connecting and engaging with my fans, friends and family on Facebook.  For Twitter I will check my @mentions, my newsfeed and comment or retweet something that caught my eye, plus I will post a couple of  comments regarding social media marketing or health.  And I'm only spending 4 minutes (minimum) a day connecting & engaging with my followers, plus by continually posting new comments I'm gaining new followers every day.  Do you see how the pattern works.  The times listed next to each social media platform is the bare minimum you need to set aside each day to continually be interacting with your potential customers, fans, friends and family.  This is a form of social media marketing.  

Recently I have discovered a way to automate all my posts to all my social media platforms and it goes out to all of them at once with the click of a button.  There are several platforms to choose from and you might want to experiement with them to see which one you like the best. 

There is Tweetdeck - TweetDeck is your social browser for Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare and Buzz. TweetDeck is your mobile browser or use it on your computer for staying in touch with what's happening on Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare and Buzz. TweetDeck makes it easy to stay up to date and organized no matter where you are.  Click here to see the video on how it works on your mobile phone.

(A Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare or Buzz account is required)  More info: http://bit.ly/deFnGO.

Then there's the popular HootSuite - "HootSuite is the Social Media Dashboard!"

According to HootSuite; "Rather than being a social network, HootSuite allows you to connect to multiple social networks from one website."

HootSuite helps organizations use the social web to launch marketing campaigns, identify and grow audience, and distribute targeted messages across multiple channels.

Using HootSuite’s unique social media dashboard, teams can collaboratively schedule updates to Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Wordpress and other social networks via web, desktop or mobile platforms plus track campaign results and industry trends to rapidly adjust tactics.  There is a basic free version which allows you to incorporate 4 social networks.  With the paid versions (premium plans) you are allowed unlimited social networks. 

I encourage you to try Tweetdeck & HootSuite and let me know which platform you like the best. 

Did this blog help you?  I'd like to hear your comments & feedback in the space below.  It not only let's me know what your opinions are, but it strikes up other topics to talk about in future posts. 

Thanks for reading,

Jen Martin







 

No comments:

Post a Comment